Some things are annoying or painful but don’t necessarily warrant a trip to the doctor’s office. It could also be that, because of some disaster caused by man or nature, you CAN’T get to a doctor. In either case, home cures will save you money and make you more comfortable without the expense or inconvenience of a doctor’s visit, even if such a thing is possible.
A bunion is a bony hump that forms at the base of your big toe. Your big toe turn in more toward your other toes than it used to. When this happens, a bunion forms on your metatarsal bone. It’s painful because you put most of your weight on it every time that you take a step and it may be red and irritated, too.
Bunions often run in the family and are frequently caused by years of walking in tight shoes such as high heels and may be triggered by the flu, gout, tonsillitis, poor nutrition or metabolism, or rheumatic infection.
Since a bunion is actually a buildup of salt, the following recipe is designed to break that up.
- Place 10oz of water and a bay leaf in a small pan and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool refrigerated overnight.
- Drink the next morning.
- Repeat for 3 days in a row, then take seven days off and repeat.
You should start to notice relief in about 10 days and your bunions should be gone in two months.
Note: You’ll notice more frequent urination; that’s normal. Increase your water intake if you don’t drink as much as you should.
To make a tincture to relieve external pain, crush 10 bay leaves in 96% isopropyl alcohol and let it steep for a week. Strain and apply to your bunion after a warm soak or shower.
Most moles aren’t a health problem but they’re often a source of aesthetic angst. This method of getting rid of moles involves honey, which is rich in nutrients and minerals and has antibiotic, antifungal and antibacterial properties.
- Wash area around mole well.
- Apply a dab of honey directly to the mole.
- Cover with a Band-aid.
- Repeat twice daily until you start to see results. It may take a while depending on the mole.
Note: If you notice a change in the shape, size or color of any mole, you should have it checked out.
Getting Rid of a Cough
Persistent coughs are a drag. You feel terrible, your head likely hurts and your throat may be sore from the constant hacking. Try this to get rid of a cough in just one day.
- Combine 2 pounds of quartered onions to 3 quarts of water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce by half (there will be 1.5 quarts of water left).
- Allow to cool then strain.
- Sweeten 8 ounces with a tablespoon of honey and a bit of lemon.
- Drink and repeat 2-3 times daily.
- If you’d like to sweeten it and add some better flavor, add a few apples to the pot, too.
Stuffy noses are irritating and can get so bad that they even affect your vision. This method doesn’t involve any kind of tincture or recipe; it’s just a physical way to actually clear your stuffy nose.
- Sit in a chair with your head up.
- Close your mouth and keep it closed unless you have to breathe out through it the first time or two.
- Take a deep breath and breathe out through your nose, unless you absolutely can’t. In that case, breathe out through your mouth and close it again immediately.
- Hold your breath and pinch your nose.
- Gently nod your head forward and back.
- Keep doing this until your begin to feel the need to take a breath.
- Let go of your nose and breathe in through your nose.
- If you’re still stuffy repeat.
Ingrown toenails are painful and can often lead to infections and other foot problems so you want to take care of them immediately. Try to avoid developing an ingrown toenail by trimming your toenails straight across instead of rounding them and don’t trim them too short.
- Gather all the stuff necessary to trim your toenails; trimmers, tweezers, etc. and some gauze.
- Soak your feet in water as warm as you can stand it for 15-30 minutes.
- Trim your nail straight across if needed.
- Use a sterile needle to lift your ingrown toenail from your toe.
- Fill the space between your nail and toe with a piece of cotton.
- Wrap with gauze.
- Repeat daily, (except for trimming – do that as necessary) changing the gauze until your ingrown toenail heals.
- If you notice any signs of infection, see your doctor immediately.
- Go barefoot when you can so that your feet can breathe. That will help prevent infection.
- Your ingrown toenail should be healed within two weeks.
A corn is a tough patch of skin with a packed center that forms on the tops and sides of your toes, generally where your shoes rub. They can be painful but are there because your body felt that your foot needed extra protection in that area. For that reason, it’s important that you wear shoes that fit well in order to avoid them. Here are a few ways to get rid of corns at home:
- Grind up a small piece of chalk and add enough water to make a paste and rub it on.
- Rub raw papaya juice on it 3x daily.
- Rub green fig juice on it 3x daily.
- Make a paste from the herb Indian squill and rub it on the corn then cover with a bandage.
- Rub lemon juice on it several times daily.
- Place a small piece of raw onion on the corn and bandage it. Leave on for a few hours.
Kidney infections are often caused by an infection that spreads from the urinary tract. They’re more common in men than women and can cause damage to the kidney if you don’t take care of it. Symptoms include pain in the side or lower back, nausea, fever and a burning sensation when you urinate.
Fortunately, kidney infections are actually quite easy to cure at home, especially if you catch them early. If it persists, see your doctor for antibiotics. Here are a few steps that you can take to cure a kidney infection or avoid them altogether.
- Drink at least 64oz of water per day. You need at least that much to stay hydrated and to keep your kidneys flushed. A good clue as to whether or not you’re drinking enough is the color of your urine. If it’s clear or nearly clear, you’re good. If it’s dark, drink more.
- Cranberry juice is great for your kidneys because it makes your urine more acidic, thus helping fight bacterial infection. Drink a glass per day but not more.
- Yogurt has probiotics that help keep your kidneys healthy. Go for the unsweetened type though because the sugar in the sweetened varieties isn’t good for you.
- Get more vitamin C because it increases the acidity of your urine. Citrus fruits, strawberries, peppers, broccoli and tomatoes are all good sources. One or two servings per day is plenty.
- Marshmallow root is antibacterial and is also a diuretic so it helps in 2 ways. Make a tincture by steeping 1 tablespoon of marshmallow root in 8oz of hot water. Allow to sit for a few minutes, strain and drink. Do this 2-4 times daily.
Sore throats can be caused by several reasons but are irritating and can cause lost sleep and irritability. Here is the Amish cure for a sore throat. It’s simple yet effective.
Dissolve 1-2 tablespoons of corn syrup in 8oz of warm water.
Gargle. It’s perfectly safe for kids because they can drink it.
Pimples & Acne
Regardless of your age, pimples and acne can plague you. Acne in particular is bad because it can scar you in addition to causing social embarrassment. It’s caused by bacteria and is tough to cure if you don’t stay on top of it. Here are a few methods to get rid of it for good.
Apple cider vinegar wash – mix 1 tablespoon of vinegar and 3 tablespoons of warm water. Swab it on your clean face.
Apply a cinnamon and honey mask. Both are antimicrobial and can help to clear your skin. Combine 2 tablespoons of honey with 1 teaspoon cinnamon and apply to your clean face. Leave on for 10-15 minutes and rinse well. Pat your face completely dry.
Apply milk or yogurt and honey. The lactic acid in milk is mildly acidic and the honey is antibacterial and antimicrobial. Mix equal parts of room-temperature milk or plain yogurt and honey. Apply to your face and allow to dry, then apply another layer. Leave on for 10-15 minutes and rinse well.
Other ingredients to add to your masks include egg whites, papaya, orange peel, tea tree oil, sodium bicarbonate and lemon juice.
garlic acne solution
This is uncomfortable and can cause further problems if not treated. Acid reflux is caused when stomach acid washes back up into your esophagus after your eat. Some simple ways to help acid reflux include eating smaller meals and sitting up for at least an hour after you eat. Sodium bicarbonate, aka baking soda, also helps because it alkalizes the acid and keeps it from burning you.
Mix ½ – 1 teaspoon of baking soda in 8oz of water and drink it when you’re feeling the reflux. You can add lemon juice or honey for flavor.
Combine ½-1 teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar and ½ teaspoon lemon juice in 8oz of water and drink slowly.
Baking soda comes with some precautions. First, it’s high in sodium so if you have high blood pressure, be careful. Also, prolonged use of baking soda can cause digestive issues because it will over-alkalize your stomach. It can cause gas and other gastric distress after drinking it. It can also reduce the levels of minerals in your body so long-term use isn’t recommended.
Baking Soda for Acid Reflux
Dandruff is not only aesthetically embarrassing, it can also be itchy and uncomfortable. Relax though; it’s easy to cure. Chronic dandruff is actually caused by an imbalance or fungus in your skin so this solution not only gets rid of the dandruff, it treats the causes.
For mild dandruff, mix equal parts of water and apple cider vinegar and apply to your scalp weekly.
For moderate dandruff, add 1 cup of ACV to your shampoo and use daily.
For severe dandruff, apply 1 cup ACV directly onto your scalp every day for a week. Allow to sit for 5 minutes and rinse.
apple cider vinegar
Yes, it’s annoying for the person that you’re sleeping with, but it also disrupts your sleep and can make you tired. Chronic poor sleep can affect your immune system and your “happy” chemicals too so it’s important to stop it if you can. Here’s how.
Emigrate While You Still Can! Learn More…
If you have sinus problems that cause your snoring, mix ¼ teaspoon kosher or canning salt with ½ cup water and put it in a nasal bottle or dropper. Dissolve well and add a squirt or a 2-3 drops to each nostril before bedtime. This solution is good for 5 days.
Rub a couple of drops of peppermint oil under your nose or breathe in steam with peppermint oil in it.
Boil a handful of sage leaves and 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar in a pot of boiling water. Remove from stove, put your head over the pot, put a towel over your head to form a tent and breathe in the steam for a few minutes.
Drink a cup of mint tea before going to bed.
Have a cup of ginger tea before bed.
Snoring man sleeping with baby
Candida is an awful thing to fight. It’s caused by too much candida yeast in your body and can manifest in your mouth or your genitals as a whitish coating or on other body parts as a rash. Be careful using any of these if you’re pregnant or nursing.
Black walnut oil or powder has antifungal properties that have been shown to effectively treat candida. Follow directions on the bottle
Barberry contains berberine that has anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties. Make your own barberry tincture by soaking 1 cup of barberry root in 2 cups of vodka for 3 weeks, shaking frequently. Drain and discard the herbs. Take 28-56 drops three times daily for no more than 7 days.
Burdock root is also an effective anti-fungal. Follow the same directions as for barberry.
Garlic is practically a cure-all because it has so many antibacterial, anti-fungal and anti-microbial properties. Eat a ton of it!
Friction blisters are painful and can lead to infection if not treated promptly. Here are just a few good treatments to help them heal a bit faster.
Apply castor oil at bedtime. It will dry it up. Don’t peel the skin off.
Soaking in warm water for 15 minutes will help the blister to soften so that the fluid in it leaves faster.
Antibiotic ointment can help fight infection.
Apple cider vinegar and some smashed onion combined are good to smear on the blister. It will dry quickly.
Salt water soaks help.
Aloe vera promotes healing.
Cracked heels can be painful and can lead to foot infections that are difficult to cure. Especially if you’re on the run, painful, infected feet are a bad thing to say the least so here are some common cures for them.
Pour a few tablespoons lemon juice in 2 quarts of warm (not hot) water and soak for 15 minutes. Pat dry and moisturize well.
Warm up 3 tablespoons of honey and add 1 teaspoon of sesame oil. Massage this into your cracked heels and leave on for 15 minutes. Rinse well and moisturize.
Massage your feet with olive oil or coconut oil before bedtime every night.
Smash a ripe banana and rub it on your feet. Leave on for 15 minutes and rinse well.
Mix mashed papaya with a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice and apply to your feet. Leave on for 15-20 minutes and rinse well.
Home Remedies For Cracked Heels
We hope that you enjoyed these easy home cures for many common illnesses and conditions. If you have any suggestions to add to the list, please feel free to do so in the comments section below!